Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Success and Failure of a Film


… I generally find myself away from all these encumbrances. Simply because I am an artist, hired to play act in certain given circumstances. Loading me with all other avenues in production has never been exciting for me and does push me to be aloof. At times we bear the wrath of non involvement. But that we all know is unfair.

Yo Brother!

That is exactly we know about you very well! You are an artist par excellence.. you were an artist of the same nature in films like Deewar and Jaadugar.. yet we know the fate of each one.. diametrically opposite.. No, no, I am not here to raise my doubts.. I just want to reassure you that you were as good as the Amitabh Bachchan in Namak Halaal as in Aladin.. yet we have to accept the exceptions and value the expectations of the junta.. They expect every film to be as big as Sholay.. They expect very character portrayed by you as gigantic as of Jai or that of many Vijays.. that is not humanly possible..

Not possible.. did I say.. Yes I did.. every producer and director when he makes a film with you as the central character does not mean or wish that his film does not do well.. but then if the success of a film depends on your presence in it.. and it does not do well for reasons beyond your control.. the one who has invested the huge amounts is definite to feel defeated in hiring you..

At times.. some of the good films are not able to garner as much business as one should expect from them.. Let me tell you that I have not seen Alaap.. but being an Amitabh film.. being a Hrishi da film.. it probably did not do as good as some of us would have believed.. Another film that I personally rate very high was Main Azaad Hoon.. it was an honest film.. it hada good plot.. its storyline moved in a great smooth flow.. it also had atleast a couple of good numbers.. it had one of the finest actor opposite you in Shabana Azmi.. even the Anu Kapoor was beyond his own capabilities as an actor.. yet I think you would not disagree with me that the film was not such a great success if it could be called successful in the first place..

I shall not site the examples of the movies which were not as good as I thought but did tremendous business.. one such movie is DDLJ.. I think it did well just for the fact that it had the best couple( of the time) and some good songs in it that did not appear thrusted on to the audience.. even if they did they were highly melodious.. and yes the acting capabilities of both SRK and Kajol did pull it up to take it to the top of charts yet it can not and should never be compared with Sholay..

In the hindsight.. I would not mind if Aladin still makes good business.. I may not have liked the film as much as some others.. I am no yardstick to measure the success or failure of a film.. and yes I am a fifty year old who does not understand what the youth of today may really be interested about.. so please do not feel gloomy because of What I wrote honestly about Aladin.. I shall only add here that Paa.. could be different for me.. as a matter of fact.. I actually do not like the promos to be shown in great detail.. what is true for me is to see the film knowing nothing about it in advance. I want every moment to be fresh to me.. that should not mean that you do not put across the promo for us.. some of us probably want to know everything about the movie before they see it.. I am not falling in that class and I would not see the promo here even if you put it.. why.. as I do not want t know what the PAA contains.. till I actually see it in the theatre..

Now you must relax and not take all the blame upon you.. who the news channel were meaning.. when they said someone has threatened you.. Is it the same guy who had problems with your going to mandir and masjid.. IGNORE HIM...

Love Hundreds and Thousands Times plus one more time...
Abhaya Sharma
Sat Sri akal (And Happy Guru Parab! I missed that a couple of days ago to wish you and the rest!, Sorry folks!!). Guru Nanak Sahab is very dear to me even if I know nothing about him.. I know he was in the same league as the Kabir sahib.. and I love him for just that alone.. I particularly loved the ardaas in Silsila..
Addendum - A post that too did not see the light with moderators -

http://abhayaamitabh.blogspot.com/
This brother is the link of my today's write-up if for some reasons the moderators do not find my views worthy of being put on the blog.. I mean good of you.. always.. and I do not have to be rewarded for the way I feel about you.. my reward is knowing you here on the blog.. my reward is to be able to write here for n number of times.. my reward has been the fact that you have atleast at times read and probably also appreciated my thinking.. mujhe aur kya chahiye.. kuchh bhi nahi..

I think Mumbai having a city anthem involving you in it should really make Raj Bhau a happy soul.. I know Mumbai is a great city as great as Kolkata or Delhi could be..
Mumbai to aakhir Mumbai hai
Mumbai hamaari jaan hai
is desh ko bhi abhimaan hai
Mumbai bharat ki shaan hai
Mumbai Sapanon ki khaan hai
Yeh Mumbai nahi anjaan hai..

Love the fact that I consider myself a Mumbaikar besides being an Indian..
Abhaya Sharma

No comments:

Post a Comment